View Single Post
Old 07-31-12, 10:48 AM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I'm sure that there will be several different approaches to this situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalta-STA View Post
...made out of mahogany or narra (local hardwoods) and I chose the old timer... he will also supply me with the door, door casings, hinges for less than $75 for a full wood door.
Your situation sounds much worse than what is encountered by those of us who live in a temperate climate.

You need to find out what kind of wood is available in your area that will resist rot. I know that teak, especially old-growth teak will do it (and it is grown in the Philippines). There may even be better woods than that... narra may be one of them.

PS: What do you guys use to "seal" or coat wood surfaces with to prevent moisture from seeping in?[/QUOTE]

If you choose the right wood, a surface seal will not matter much, and you can use a beautiful oil finish.

Most of the people who post to this blog live in areas where the climate is temperate, and the aggressive bacterial and mold action you are encountering simply do not exist. In temperate climates, the conditions for mold growth are temporary, and then woods and other materials dry out. I would suspect that in your area, conditions for mold growth exist all the time.

Also, in temperate areas, dense, resinous, rot-resistant woods are not available, as they have been all cut down many years ago (cypress wood would have been a good candidate, but it is gone now).

Ask the old-timers in your area, they know...

I think that they will also know of an oil finish which will be durable, non-toxic, will allow your doors to 'breathe', and will show off the beauty of your new doors.

Best,

-AC_Hacker