View Single Post
Old 11-18-10, 01:31 AM   #8
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Yep I discussed the breakerbox with my wife and will probably end up doing as you suggested phantom.

On the cold room front I wired up a 4" 120V fan I had in an old electronics project to the upper exhaust vent. Basically it's a big computer fan but 120V and with a metal frame. It draws 16 watts according to it's sticker.

It's wired to a light switch outside of the cold room as I only intend to use it to do quick draw downs of temperature in the room. I had noticed the temp wouldn't drop below 11 or so degrees even if it was 2 or 3 degrees outside.

After wiring it up the temp in the cold room was 16.8 C due to the door being open while I worked, outside is 3 degrees and the basement temp is 20.1 C . I turned it on and at 5 minutes we were at 14.7 C at at 15 minutes 12.3C and at 30 minutes later we are at 11.5 C

I'm going to let it run for an hour and see where it ends up temp wise. Since this was a temporary test I didn't do a great job sealing it in or anything so it isn't the greatest at pushing the air out. It should still have a good loop going in there though. Feeling outside It has a decent breeze blowing out through the vent so it should definitely be creating some form of vacuum most easily filled by the cold inlet

<edit> after an hour we're at 11.2 C I'll leave it running over night. I think I need to do some work on the air circulation. The IR temp gun reports the floor at the end of the inlet tube is 8 C and it's concrete and spreading the cold to the rest of the basement floor so I'm assuming the other probe is sitting in a dead area for now. </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 11-18-10 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: update on readings
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote