View Single Post
Old 01-21-16, 08:19 AM   #24
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Projected for late 2016 . Says it is a 2017 model .

Projected 200 mile range . That would work for an in town car , but not for a road car . Not in my world .

$ 37,500 - $ 7,500 tax credit ? $ 30,000 ?

That is , out of pocket , more than twice as much as the 2015 Chevy Sonic we bought last June . Even adding in TT&L . Which the $ 30,000 does not include , either .

But to be charitable , Let us say , half the cost , ignoring TT&L for both cars . So , $ 15,000 . Figuring $ 2 a gallon for gasoline , which is more than we are currently paying . That is 7,500 gallons .

Our Sonic will average some where , around 30 mpg , combined city & highway . That gives 225,000 miles . From the difference in the cost of the 2 cars .

Please verify my math . And my logic .

But , cost wise , I do not see it . Not in my world .

Both are small cars . Both are Chevrolet .

One Electric with projected 200 mile range . I wonder is that is at 75 mph ?

The other gasoline . Range unlimited , as long as you do not run out of gas stations . Which rarely happens in my world . Or money to pay for the gas . This does happen in my world . But , not too often if I had $ 15,000 in my back pocket from the savings in the cost of the car .

Well , unlimited range is not really accurate . You have to stop ever so often to change oil , check other fluids , tires , brakes , belts , hoses , etc. . And 97,500 miles , I think , to replace the timing belt , tensioner & idler pulley . And change the transmission fluid .

Of course , I have to stop every hour or two to refill my coffee cup ( to keep awake ) , use the bathroom and stretch my old muscles and loosen up the old bones .

And cost ? For the bolt ? Electricity is not free . For a quick charge , I bet you need a new 220 - 240 VAC outlet for the charger ? Not free . Does your electrical panel have space for a new 2 pole circuit breaker ? Is your existing electrical system sufficient for the new load ?

Or , the whole electrical grid ? Which we hear is becoming out of date and in need of upgrading ? ( Consider the additional load of millions of electric cars , added to the existing electrical load ? )

Granted , if you have PV , like Pinball , this may not apply completely or very little . To him .

However , for most of us , it does .

But , to me , it is more about political correctness and hype . And , do not forget , this costs us , the tax payer , $ 7,500 a car !
:-(

This is a car I help pay for . A car I do not get to drive ! :-(

If I am all wet , feel welcome to flame me . Might help dry me out ! :-)

God bless
Wyr

PS What is the going price for the Volt ?

It , I think has a auxiliary gasoline engine . This would seem to be more practical .

More so , with higher capacity battery ? Perhaps with better fast charge characteristics ?
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote