View Single Post
Old 09-29-14, 05:21 PM   #320
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The problem with drilling a new hole is that the hole is beyond the lip of the rim. So, I can't get a drill & drill bit in that far.
Here's an ancient farm tractor secret. You can't ask how I know, and I won't tell anyway.

Scrounge around and find some iron pipe that will barely try to slide around the axleshaft. If it gets stuck and won't go on far, that's ok. as long as the ID of the pipe is close to the OD of the shaft. Chop it down a couple or three inches long and drill your 3/8 or 7/16 inch holes through the center.

Using a sawzall, portaband, or band saw (or grinder with cutoff wheel, or cutting torch, or whatever...), cut the pipe straight down its length perpendicular to the direction of the through holes you just drilled. This will yield you two collars you can sandwich the axle tube and axle between. Test fit the collars onto the axle and shaft with a shiny new bolt, making sure there is a little wiggle room between the collars and the shaft: you don't want the collar halves wedging against each other, not even when they are tight. If stuff doesn't fit tightly, a ball peen hammer will convince the collar halves to submit. As long as the halves don't touch, they will self-center where they belong.

If you really want it to be permanent, paint or epoxy the axle where the collars will hide it and assemble wet. Tighten your bolt before the stuff sets up or skins, and once it does dry, it's almost as strong as a weld. I myself usually just spray paint everything once it is assembled tightly. It acts as loctite on everything.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-29-14 at 05:33 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote