View Single Post
Old 06-11-14, 10:25 PM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I used to like phones. Many years ago, people would actually answer when you called them. With the advent of the cell phone, and the endless list of useless features you get with them, hardly anyone can be bothered to answer. If you don't text them, twitter them, or leave a voice-mail message first, you aint go get thru.

When smartphones/iPhones first came out, i thought they were cool. But after having to use them on the job, I absolutely detest them. They cost too much, break down too often, and have spotty coverage while travelling between populated areas. I wasted more time than I ever thought I could trying to scan bar-codes, copying and pasting information, and making and receiving customer and employer calls, texts, pm's, emails, and live chats. Like a work walkie-talkie, anyone can find you anywhere, due to the built-in gps for 911 service compliance. Which sucks when you're trying to hide.

Voip is another part of the internet bundle. Just another service like pandora or iheart radio. If your internet dies, so do they. If the power goes out, so do they. Not the same thing as an old-fashioned land line.

When you're looking for directions, they won't find the house or lead you to the wrong place, 1/4 mile from the house. When you're in a hurry, they lag and bog down. When you're on an important call, they drop it. When you're trying to concentrate, they ring. And they love to jump off your body and strip when they hit the ground.

I still own a cell phone, but the cell service is not active. I use it with wifi only. I've found that nearly everyone, everywhere has wifi lan service. I have it at home, my employer has it at work, and everyone with a smartphone can make it a wifi hotspot if you need it. You just have to ask. No matter what the carriers tell you, a lan hotspot always beats cell service internet. Period.

I don't miss my cell service at all. If I need to make a call, I can use google voice or ask the guy right next to me. If someone needs to contact me, they know how.

Voip is just another part of the internet bundle. Same category as pandora or iheart radio. If the internet goes out, so do they. If the power goes out, so do they. Not the same as plain old telephone service.

Last edited by jeff5may; 06-11-14 at 10:38 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote