View Single Post
Old 08-09-11, 08:51 AM   #12
S-F
You Ain't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Where does one find this recycled polyiso? I don't think I've ever seen anything but normal polyiso.
Good question. There are insulation recycling places all over. I know of two within 100 Mi. of me but that doesn't really help you. I'm sure one of the places here could ship to you for about $500 but unless you were getting a lot it probably wouldn't be cost effective. You can often find smaller insulation recyclers on craigslist. Just search for "insulation". If you get a price break on larger orders and you have storage space it might be advisable to get as much of the stuff as you'll ever need. I'm thinking about the portions of your upstairs walls which don't meet the attic but the roof. How are you going to get those areas to R 60?

Take my basement project as an example. All the polyiso was recycled. I got the boards for about $13 a sheet for 2.25" instead of something like $37 for 2". Shipping was a couple hundred and is calculated into the total cost per sheet. I think I also got a 5% discount due to the large volume.

An other option is EPS. It is still a petrochemical but it's a lot cheaper, is much more vapor permeable, is still an air barrier and it made all over the place. And you can order it in any dimensions you want.

Me personally, I wouldn't use foam boards at all. I'd spot caulk/foam the sheathing and just dense pack. But I'm not going to do that in my house because I don't want to loose 8" at every wall so I'm going to dense pack the existing cavities after pulling the fiberglass out and then take a REMOTE like approach to outsulating.

Last edited by S-F; 08-09-11 at 08:57 AM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote