View Single Post
Old 07-29-10, 08:36 PM   #1
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default 2011 Garden Planning Phase

So, I have big, (not so eco-friendly) plans at the end of this summer for my back yard. I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff. Biggest space free-er-uppers: Pool (35'x18') and attached deck (12'x18'). Then redoing my 6' tall wood fence (it's in lousy condition) which is going to require ~38 eight foot sections. Maybe redo/remove the deck attached to the house. Then, landscape the yard. My yard is actually a little dangerous. Lots of ditches that you can catch wrong and twist your ankle. But, the benefit ultimately with everything will be going bigger on my garden.

I have a few ideas. Currently I have a 9'x3.5' raised garden that I started last year, then took over half of a 8' radius half circle flower garden this year. Which gave me at most ~100 sqft area.

So, now I will have the deck gone, which is a 12'x20' space which would be broken up into sections with walkways. That would get at best 160-240 sqft depending on layout and number of boxes. Or, I have the side of my house (currently just a fairly unused horseshoe pit area and nothing else) that's 35'x24', so with two 30'x4' boxes with walking space around em would get me 240sqft.

I have some options. Just need to start doing some drawing, thinking about what I want to plant, how much, etc. Though, if I go raised, that's a lot of extra dirt/wood, so while this year (minus water costs/time) was essentially free after last year breaking even, next year i'll likely be starting back in the negative.

(BTW: I'm drawing my plans out in Visio. When they're more finalized I'll post some pictures of my layout options)

eh, n/m, here's a quick pic. Garage at the top, house at the bottom. 'almost' everything to scale. still working on that, but it's all close. other boxes in the yard are garden location ideas. the back right of the yard will have a tree (we have none right now) so that's not available for a garden. and we'll still entertain, so i can't take over the whole yard

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote