View Single Post
Old 06-08-16, 10:27 AM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Do you drive with the EV grin?? How do you feel driving by the gasoline station??
I guess I just got jaded right away... I mostly don't even think about my car being an EV car. I am daily appreciative of how quiet, and smooth and comfortable this car is. And it is really powerful, too. When I take it out of ECO mode, it feels like driving a serious, taunt, expensive, powerful performance sedan. I love it that I can 'refuel' in my driveway.

I am becoming a stranger to filling stations. When I pass them now, they seem quaint. I hear ICE engines and think, "That was an amazing era."

I also think about the long, vulnerable chain of technology that makes driving and charging an EV possible. Possibly no longer, maybe a bit less vulnerable than for ICE engines. Having your own PV-charging array makes brilliant sense.

Quote:
So your leaf can be charged at 6.6 kw. At that rate a complete charge would be somewhere around 2-3 hrs. depending how depleted your pack is. Have you tried any of the public charge stations yet.??
You are spot on regarding charge time. With my home charger, I can stop by for lunch, charge while I eat, and get enough charge for errands. Kind of opportunity charging.

There is/was a "Charge Point" station about one block from my house, that had a large solar array and was free (10 free charges intro). It was very convenient for the most part. Some people abused it, plugged their EV in, walked away and used it as their parking lot (I made my displeasure known to them in dark, measured words). But the machine is now on the fritz and "Charge Point" takes no responsibility for it. Time for some Japanese company to come in and do it right.

I think the public stations charge 4X the going electric rate. So far home charging is working out just great.

Quote:
Your EVSE looks great!

I'm in the market for EVSE for the electric truck. I'm still hard wiring and removing the connections for a test ride. It's getting old.
Thanks for the EVSE kudo.

Regarding a charger for your truck, Open EVSE has all the theory and code and parts openly available. It will not be a straight-cross swap, but the basic building blocks are all there.

Best,

-AC