Thread: Mini HPWH
View Single Post
Old 05-11-16, 06:39 PM   #1
IdleMind
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Mini HPWH

I am about to start a small heat-pump water heater project. It will be very small because I am new to this type of development, so a small first step. I found a 2.5 gal 120v electric water heater on craigslist which I may buy tomorrow.

I intend to mount it in my basement under the kitchen to feed the kitchen sink and dishwasher. We waste a lot of hot water waiting for it to get from the water heater through 3/4 copper pipe through a low flow faucet. The water is usually just barely warm by the time your done washing your hands or rinsing a dish. So this will get hot water to the faucet faster with less wasted heat.

I have a dehumidifier which will donate the compressor. Then I'd like to try to make a passive evaporator. It would be a small tank of water/anti-freeze. It could have some fins welded on to increase surface area.

My basement is around 50F in winter and 70F in summer. For the kitchen faucet I am thinking 95/100F would be hot enough. Right now the cold water coming into the house is 53F.

Anyway, I am new to the forum and wanted to start a thread so I could share what I learn and learn from you. Also, I never heard of a heat pump water heater before reading about it here, so thanks for that.

IdleMind is offline   Reply With Quote