View Single Post
Old 03-23-13, 06:06 PM   #13
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Michael

Good going. You will see some of my posts on the manifesto. We as well had the oil thirsty hot water heaters suppling or home for heat. The hot water was circulated in our concrete floor via 5/8 dia Kitec, Nice stuff but like the poly B you have, it has been discontinued.

The system worked extremly well but the price of oil OUCH. We have installed solar hot water with Geo-thermal back-up and it has me and my family grinning ear to ear. We are in Canada and it can get a little cold but the geo-thermal just hums away. It operates sometimes continuously and in fact losses a little ground when the outside temps drop harshly. This is the 3% that AC-Hacker is talking about.

Your in-floor Poly B sounds perfect it will perform well at the lower supply temp. 85-110 Deg F.

For our area here the rule of thumb for the ground loop is 600 ft for each ton of heat-pump. Your milage may very. The nice thing is if you over install too much ground loop its a good thing. Higher efficiency.

We even went so far as to install our own homemade Geo-thermal heat pump in my shop. I installed 4 tons of loop and started with a 2T pump. Its working OK and saving some serious cash. The shop temp is between 14-18 deg C running full out. Fine for the shop.

Your install can be amazing. I'm on the edge of my seat imagine, a heat-pump powered with a 5.5 Kwh solar array. Thats holy grail stuff. My 2T unit is only 1500 watts 1.5 Kwh.
6 hrs of run time as the sun is powering the array warming your concrete floor. WOW

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
michael (03-23-13)