View Single Post
Old 07-19-13, 05:19 PM   #34
stevehull
Steve Hull

Just thinking here - and provoking AC to give us some thoughts (others too).

Clearly a square box is the simplest way to maximize volume with the smallest surface area (OK, I don't need smart *** comments on this really being a sphere!).

But if we were to built, from scratch, a 'fridge, how would we do it?

I bet we would build a modified rectangle, trying to be close to a cube, but wary of the deep recesses in back where "food goes to die" (quoting AC).

I bet we would choose an external "radiator" with stand offs and not one inside the metal cabinet - likely on the back (assuming an air to air compressor system).

I bet we would insulate with at least two inches of high performance foam (R10 per inch) and I bet we would forgo a freezer to maximize compressor performance with an interior temp of about 40 F.

Since the volume is small, how much water flow would it take to make this a water source compressor type fridge? I bet less than a fraction of a gallon per minute. (I know that as I use a rule of thumb of about 1-2 gallons/minute of water flow per 12,000 BTU of cooling.

Assume a 30 degree delta T with a house temp of 70 F (inside fridge temp of 40F).

Assume an outside 'fridge dimension of 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep (total surface area of 39 sq feet)

Given the above, what would it take to build this? I don't have my calculator available or I would calculate the net amount of BTUs needed to keep it at this design temp.

I bet a tiny compressor would be needed and a quart of water per minute (assuming an open loop system with a ten F delta T from water well temp to outflow temp.

Now, where could I get a fractional compressor real cheap . . . . (a compressor from a window AC unit would be far too big, same with auto and dehumidifier . . . .).

We all need a 'fridge and I bet this would not be a hard nut to crack!

Just thinking . . . .

Steve