View Single Post
Old 05-09-14, 05:30 AM   #13
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Unless you plan on heating with the unit also, a normal size heat pump unit would probably be too large in capacity. However, it would open up some heating options for you.
It's only going to be used for dehumidification and possible cooling. As I wrote earlier, since it rarely becomes hotter than 80F, it's not a lot of cooling which is required. At the moment, these houses don't have any cooling at all, so removing the moisture and lowering the temperature just a few degrees could be sufficient.

As for heating ... with that system I am doing, there won't be need for any heating! However, since I have a seasonal heat storage, why not heat that up in the process of cooling the house down? To me, it makes a lot of sense if I can split the air into cold and dry into the house, and the hot "exhaust" into the seasonal heat storage, and get that heat back 6 months later (or as needed).

There will eventually be plenty of other heat available from a whole summer of about 300 square feet of Solarus hybrid PV-T solar panels (electric and thermal), with a peak thermal effect of around 15kW (yet to be confirmed). Maybe even more, as the power you can extract depends on how cold your buffer is, and stays, and I will have plenty of capacity, as I have written about before.

So a little hacked dehumidifier or freezer won't make too much of a difference in the big picture, yet it saves me from making an exhaust AND I get the heat later - so why not?