View Single Post
Old 01-28-14, 07:49 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I just saw this when I was checking out the AHRIdirectory dor org site yesterday. Before this I was looking at the Panasonic XE12PKUA and before that the Fujitsu 12RLS. These units keep getting better. Now I need to decide if I'd rather have the Mitsubishi or the Panasonic. The Panasonic XE12PKUA has a 12,500 max output at 5 degrees and the same size Mitsu is 13,600. The Panasonic doesn't say if/what it can do below this temperature so with the -13 hyperheat and higher SEER and HSPF, I'm suddenly edging towards the Mitsubishi pretty hard now.

What happens at -20f though does it still produce a little bit of heat along with some supplemental resistance heat(space heater) or would I be shuting it off if it doesn't shut itself off? My area got down to -21 on January 6, -15 today and we've had a total of 6 days where we dropped below -13f. Our design temp is -11f here and we're definitely having a frigid winter but I'm trying to get the heat load of my house down under 10,000BTUhr at design temp through superinsulation and I'm okay with some periods where the heat demand isn't quite met but if this thing completely shuts down at -20f rather than having a 5k space heater taking over the slack, I might need to rethink things because -20f with a 5k only would put me in 22 degree interior territory but two(10k) and I've got myself covered to 64f but I'm not sure I want that much resistance.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 01-28-14 at 07:52 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote