View Single Post
Old 03-12-13, 11:14 AM   #18
servant74
Lurking Renovator

Also, try vented window coverings, like shutters, either on the inside or out, and if you have double hung widows, open the windows down low on the windward side of the house, and open them up high on the leeward side of the house (the sides the wind is coming from and leaving to respectively). This is an old trick from old houses in the South and Southwest parts of the USA.

Yes, insulate under your roof, but I have seen major impacts by just painting the roof 'white' with elastomeric roof paint. And every year or two, just spray the roof with chlorine bleach and let it dry. That will help reduce the mold and mildew that happens when the roof is exposed and 'browns' for a long time.

If you could, a 'second roof' with air space between the top and lower roofs with ventilation between helps. ... I have seen people do that with sheds and barns to reduce the heat load in the summer. This works well especially where there is no summer shade or deciduous trees around. ... I have thought that mounting solar panels a few inches above the roof would help on roof heat load too, but that has it's own challenges as well ( using the micro-inverters to grid tie seems to be a good solution in well served areas ).

If you paint the roof, get some of the microscopic glass beads to spread on the wet paint of the roof. They tend to help reflect heat load (and in the moonlight, your roof can appear to 'glow' with reflecting the moon light).

On window treatments, the shutters on the inside can help keep 'hot light' out, and still let the breeze through. If you have them on the outside they might be more effective if your area will allow it.

Just a few thoughts.
servant74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to servant74 For This Useful Post:
philb (03-12-13)