View Single Post
Old 10-28-10, 01:01 PM   #9
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
My innitial idea (and only one really) is to remove the screen in winter and replace it with a piece of lexan or plexiglass. They would clip in with the pins that hold the screen in currently (spring loaded goes into the window frame). I would add a gasket to the inside of the plastic to seal it. This will add another air pocket just like the disposable film does and help insulate further. However, it will be reusable every year.
I think this idea is probably the simplest and perhaps best. Removing the screens should boost your solar gain by +/- 30% (depending on the screen). Adding a storm window / lexan / plexiglass uses the existing hardware and doesn't interfere with window or blind operation.

I'd check with local hardware stores and glass shops to price simple framed storm windows built to fit where your screen does. I'm not sure about lexan / plexiglass and how well they weather over time. My experience is that thin plexiglass can be very wobbly and get brittle in time. There may be better, weather-resistant plexi and lexan formulations that are more durable.

Let us know how it goes,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote