View Single Post
Old 03-26-10, 06:52 PM   #34
Beaker
Lurking Renovator

Default DIY econo fridge

I have a small (2c.f.) mini-fridge. SOooooo...I took a few minutes and carefully removed the entire cooling system from the mini-fridge. Unbolted the compressor and coils (it's an older fridge with the coils on the back, I bought it for this experiment), carefully cut a hole in the back and slid the inside cooling piece (the cooling shelf that makes the freezer section) out of the refridgerator box without breaking any lines. I cut the wires to the temp adjustment, but they are easily spliced.

Next step, I found a MaxCold Igloo cooler (the one that says it will keep ice for 5 days) and my plan is to cut a small slot in the side of the cooler, bolt the compressor & coils on the outside on the end with wheels on it & put the cooling lines and cooling "shelf" inside the cooler (the lines will go thru the slot cut in the cooler). Once it's set up and looks OK. I will spray-foam the slot closed and maybe slap a little sealer on there, and see if the extra-thick insulation the cooler has will make for an efficient chest refrigerator. It certainly has MUCH more capacity than the mini-fridge, just not sure how the energy usage will turn out.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote