View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 08:55 AM   #4
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Interesting. Did you just insert the temperature probe through the front door?
Yes.
Look in the picture above - just below the purple carton, you can see the wire. No other modifications were done what-so-ever.
To the uninitiated, it looks totally normal.

I plan to create some sort of spring loaded air trough around 3" high that can keep the cold air in when I open the door. ( I notice that when the fridge is full of food, a lot less air rushes out. It acts a barrier. )

I'm skittering around in dangerous territory or sorts. I checked the internal temperature of the fridge, and it it currently at 55 degrees.
I'm going to turn it down some, but I must admit that I am curious to see how low that I can go with the kWh readings.

I think a normal fridge is usually set at 40 degrees, and I hope I don't find that any of my food begins to spoil ( and give me salmonella )

I purchased a few bags of frozen veggies, and as they thaw, they seem to be helping the fridge stay cool even more. I can see the power curve as they gradually warm. Yesterday, the fridge only used .05 Wh at the 5 hour 36 minute mark. ( It turned on twice in that time. )
At the 8:15 mark the reading was .06 Wh.
Currently the reading is .13 Wh and its been over 11 hours.

This can be a good excuse for me to eat more frozen veggies .
Just pop a bag or two of the veggies in there every couple of days.
Homeless is offline   Reply With Quote