View Single Post
Old 02-26-13, 08:27 PM   #22
mikek
Lurking Renovator

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Regarding Roth panels, found a local distributor right here in Rochester, but they only sell to contractors and wouldn't quote me any prices or sell it to me directly. Maybe I'll have to become a contractor! Does anyone have any rough estimates per sq ft. for the product?

Regarding insulation on top/below slab. Is it possible to quantify the difference between putting the heat on top of my current uninsulated slab vs in the slab with insulation underneath? I assume I'll be able to get ~2x the amount of insulation by digging down than I can give putting it on top of the existing slab (celing height is already only 7'4" to bottom of floor joists). Does this result in 2x less heat going into the room and instead going to heat the earth? Is it a linear relationship? Or is the R value not as crucial above a certain number and the reason to put the heat into the slab direcly is for the ability to hold the heat for long periods?

Quote:
If someone were living in a challenging latitude like Michigan, for instance, and/or had only a code house, or lower, the results could be very disappointing.
I'm at 44' latitude, which I would assume falls into the 'challenging' realm? My house is constructed of only 2x4s for the main walls, though I've got a wood basement with 2x6. I do plan on insulating them, considering getting spray foam done, which I would assume is about as good as I can get. Are you suggesting that trying to heat the space with solar would be just too much to attempt?

Quote:
How thick is the cement floor?
It's ~4" thick and a PITA to break apart with only a hammer drill and chisel/mallet!

Quote:
Well the heat your not getting into the floor your paying for its replacement.
My goal was never to completely heat the basement with the radiant, just to increase the comfort level by bringing the floor temperature up. I've got forced air down there now, but trying to heat the basement with vents in the ceiling is pretty ineffective. I was figuring if I could avoid having to run the furnace more by putting radiant in the floor, I'd be happy.

Or, maybe just properly insulating the space (floor and walls) would make things more comfortable with the heat I have now? Still lots of research to do!

thanks again for all the feedback/ideas!
mike
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote