View Single Post
Old 03-15-09, 08:07 PM   #4
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

I wish I could install solar panels, but besides not being allowed, they would get stolen.
For now, I try and conserve as much as possible. On average, I use around 30 -35 Kw of electricity a month.
I'd like to cut that in half. The majority of the power draw comes from my dorm size frig* ( highly inefficient for it's size ( 96 - 120 Watts ) , but it uses less than a full size unit )
I cook using an electric burner which uses around 953 watts, so that's a lot of wasted power there.
My computer and external modem use around 36 watts when I am connected to the internet.
My power is the so called " 100 % wind " plan that my utility offers. ( which is a load of crap, but I have the hope that at least some of it ends up being green .)
Other than that, I also try and be mindful of the amount of water that I use. I try and recycle as much as I can, but find it hard, since the apartment only has bins for paper, aluminum cans ( no steel ) #1, and #2 plastics, and nothing for any of the other types of plastics / glass / etc.
I collect it for the long haul to the recycling center downtown ( very cumbersome when done on a bus )

If you know of any ways that I can use less electricity, or have any other tips, please let me know ! )

I have to pay a flat fee for gas and water ( divided amoungst all the residents .)

I have sort of have a balcony, but it is also a public pathway that gets used often. I made a small garden area, but the cats have been using it lately as a cat box.

(* Since I'm vegan, I can get by with a dorm size frig. You know ...because we just eat salads )
Homeless is offline   Reply With Quote