View Single Post
Old 09-02-10, 11:54 AM   #7
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

For the outside you should seal the cracks, I found that 6" wide butyl rubber tape with foil backing for going around sky lights works really well for going over cracks after you repair them either with mortar or with polyurethane caulk that is designed for concrete repair.
On my house after I sealed the cracks I taped 6 mil plastic up a few inches on the walls covered over it with ridged foam going down about a foot below grade, brought the 6 mil plastic out away from the house about 6 feet, sloping away and at that outer edge of the plastic put your drain tile, over the plastic put your 2" foam tape the seams and put another layer of 6 mil plastic, that way you keep the foam protected from roots and have dual layers of water protection that push the water away from your house towards the drain tile, the foam also insulates the ground around your house so your foundation walls never get cold.
The above grade foam can be covered with stucco, latex stucco, fiberglass foundation covering, aluminum flashing or you can even buy foam insulation that already has a pea gravel or sand covering on it that is bonded to the foam.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
benpope (09-02-10)