View Single Post
Old 12-22-14, 12:45 PM   #79
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Just a reminder that this thread is about "preparing for temporary lapses of the infrastructure".

Discussing Coal vs. Nuclear vs. Renewables, etc. and their long-term effects, and the end of the world as we know it is a GREAT topic, important to our times, and well worth debating…. in a different thread.

As an exercise, thinking about how to deal well with a temporary lapse of infrastructure has lots of benefits. BESIDES making sure you are ready for the next short blackout, it does help a person think about where their energy comes from and conserving energy in general.

For example, many people who are interested in a whole house solar system first do an energy audit, and realize how much heat and electricity can be saved simply by changing light bulbs and adding some weather-stripping. In an emergency, their now-more-efficient-than-before house will be easier to run from a smaller generator or solar setup, or have a longer use on the same amount of fuel.

It also does get people to "think outside the box". There's lots of people who aren't doomsday-preppers, but would like to be prepared for the basics when there is limited infrastructure. Events like a small blackout get lots of people interested in renewable energy, DIY electronics, and general self-sufficiency.
I agree and I've asked Oil Pan 4 repeatedly on my last two posts what his response is to the original question.

"So again, what is your answer to the original question?"

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote