View Single Post
Old 12-21-14, 03:33 PM   #75
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I guarantee hydraulic fracturing causes tiny little 2 and 3 magnitude earth quakes. Being in NY do you have any frame of reference between a harmless 2 to 3 magnitude earth quake and a real damaging earth quake?
Funny thing is I usually only ever see east coasters trying to make a big deal about these insignificant earth quakes. People on the west coast usually don't say a lot about these 2s and 3s. I bet they find it rather entertaining that some people are trying to make suck a big deal out of them.
I lived in japan for 3 and a half years so I know what a real earth quake is. Anything less than a 4, I wouldn't even notice anymore.

Prime example of fear and fanaticism. You have worse chemicals than that under your sink. Plus no one hydraulic fracturing company uses every fracking chemical listed. The companies in west texas use 8 chemicals and I know what they are because I have been to several fracturing operations.
You should really be worried about the chemicals used in the food industry. The food industry uses quite a few of the same chemicals and I guarantee they are in your food and drink right now.
But by all means continue to focus your attention where you are told to.

You are preaching to the choir, I have already been formally educated in wind power generation you are not going to be able to tell may any thing I am not already intimately aware of.
You can read all the articles and news reports you want and you still wont have scratched the surface on what their true capabilities, limitations and dirty little secrets.
When it comes to wind turbines remember, you read AP articles, I read wind turbine specific technical publications that you cant look up on the internet. You have seen wind turbines, I have been inside them, on top of them and inside wind farm control centers and viewed real time and historical production numbers from wind turbines I have worked on.

And coal will continue its acidic rein as long as the party of fear, ignorance and fanaticism continue to block alternatives like nuclear that can compete with coals low cost and reliable 24hr 7 day a week consistent 350ish day a year production.

Only 249 years, 11 months and about 29 days now.

Fracking bans in in the US are the only thing I can think of to ensure another "war for oil" sooner rather than later.

Natural gas creates nitrogen oxides, ozone and smog too.
Alternatives are great as long as they are working.
Gee only 8 chemicals used in fracking, that can't be bad for anything!
What are the long range effects of those earthquakes? You can't tell me because, like everyone else, you don't know just like we don't know the long range effects of the chemicals we pump into the ground. What are the effects of those chemicals on your children, their children and the children 100 years from now? We don't know!

We do know the massive effects of coal acidity on our oceans, lakes and living organisms though.

And let's not block nuclear, that's what we need another Fukushima, we have radio active milk in Washington State from that disaster.

Do you know how close we came to polluting half the states in the south from 3 Mile Island and the Susquehanna River? There were 700, 000 gallons of radio active water sitting in a cracked building on the Susquehanna River while authorities rushed to get women and children out of the area. How about Chernobyl and the spike in cancer rates in Russia? How about the high cost of decommissioning old plants. As France about that with 75% nuclear that is the equivalent of a car with 100,000 miles on it and a bad motor, do you fix it or do you buy a new car. They're buying power from Germany now. Just what we need nuclear. Make room in your basement for the spent rods if you think nuclear is so great.

Bottom line alternatives, including wind, are technology rich without pumping harsh chemicals into the ground and without earthquakes. They diversify the grid and diversify wealth. Not oil, coal, nuclear or gas can make those claims. 250 years for coal? The sun will shine for the next billion years. The windmills your working on today will only improve and the cost of PV panels will only go down as new technology refines how they function.

But this thread is about autonomy not living off oil, gas and coal, so tomorrow the lights go out, where do you stand? What is your solution to the original question?

Rob

Last edited by Robaroni; 12-21-14 at 03:42 PM..
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote