Thread: Treadle Lathe
View Single Post
Old 03-16-09, 09:22 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I have one that looks very simaler only was built about 50 years ago and never used, I had to make some modifications to the one I have before it could be used, one thing it needs still is some cross bracing because over time it starts to wigle, the one I have is also made out of pine with to light of fly wheel it would be better if the whole frame and fly wheel were oak or some other heavy wood.
I also had to make my own flat belt out of a piece of fire hose with a motorcycle inertube inside of it to give it some stretch, of course I was trying to keep it looking old because I only use it for historic style demonstrations.
sharp tools are always key, along with roughing out our shape with a hatchet on a chopping block, or with a shaving horse (easy project if you have a log and a chainsaw), you then use the lathe to finish it up.

Oh, I forgot in my introduction that I do some wood working too and a little bit of wood turning, with two wood lathes, two machenest lathes and a miniature table top lathe in my shop a few miles away at my parents.

Last edited by Ryland; 03-16-09 at 09:26 AM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote