View Single Post
Old 04-23-17, 12:20 PM   #19
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

I have been driving my Nissan Leaf now for 2 years. I have done 40,000 miles in that time, and mostly charged from my solar panels on the house. Total running costs for the 40,000 miles are just £500 (on overnight cheap rate electric).
The same distance in my Nissan 3/4 ton pickup would have been £14,000.
I am one of those 400,000 Tesla Model 3 pre-orders, and TBH, I can't wait.
Whilst the Leaf has served my well, and cost such an insignificant amount, the 80 mile true range can be a pain, especially when I am working on a contract with a 130 mile round trip. The rapid charger that I use to get home takes 30 minutes to put in about 60 miles of charge, but it is FREE!!
The Tesla won't need a rapid charge, as the range is a proper 200+ miles, which is about 70 miles more than I need in a day.
I think realistically that the whole "EVolution" process will only take a few years, as the UK government called a meeting of dangerously high emissions from diesel engines on Friday, as we used the whole years pollution allowance in just 5 days.
I was going to strip the Leaf for parts and add it to my home built "powerwall" (as it would give 4 days power with no solar input), but my used car will be worth more than I thought with the ban on anything but zero emission going into the city, so I will be selling that when the Model 3 arrives about Christmas 2018.
Added to this, the bonus of safer, self-driving vehicles, I know I will quite enjoy being chauffeured to work, and not having to concentrate on getting there.

Last edited by nexsuperne; 04-23-17 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: not enough gaps and some typo's :)
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote