View Single Post
Old 11-23-12, 04:11 PM   #18
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

October November bill arrived

I installed the TED on Oct 23 so roughly half way through I went from monitoring usage daily to pretty much every few minutes. It's kind of addictive.

Numbers are
HDD (18.5C) 610.8
CDD (18.5C) 0.9
Days Covered 63
KW.h used 1217
cost/kwh 0.08356
kwh/day 19.32
kwh/hdd 1.992

This is a 19.62% reduction from last years bill for this period. It was however warmer then last year. It's only 6% lower when you take HDD into account. It is 37% lower then my first year here when you take HDD into account, 35% in raw kwh.

The only changes that I've done from last year are Monitoring with the TED. Being more proactive about getting the fireplace lit before the HP would kick on, the hotwater heater being the new, insulated, with heat traps one and I shut down the computer at night every night.

Looking at the graphs for this house I'm really happy with the reductions. It's been a constant decrease since moving in for this period. I'm do see that I used more power/hdd then I did last dec/jan. since the fans power usage is the same and the fire burn times is probably the same It was just colder outside to make that number look better. I have over heated the house a couple of times last month.

I'm averaging just under 20 kwh/day. 5.6 kwh of that is going towards heating water. When you look at the graphs there is regular spikes from the heater kicking on to bring the temperature back up from that standby loss. I did some testing with turning the tank off when not in use to remove those standby spikes but in the end it was coming down to 5 1 minutes spikes vs 1 5 minute spike. I'm sure I saved a bit but it's a tiny amount that I couldn't pick up in my measurements. Better insulation or an on demand is the way to go.

Solar hotwater is still on my mind as 30% going towards water heating is the largest single use of energy here. It's payback keeps getting longer and longer though as my low usage kept me in the lowest tier which is about 22% cheaper then the higher tier.

The webpage for the 10% challenge isn't working to give me there calculated reduction but my math has me needing to save 967 kwh over the year. I saved 273 on this one so 694 to go. The $75 cheque from last years challenge arrived a few weeks ago. Even my wife was excited to see that.

Last edited by strider3700; 11-23-12 at 04:14 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote