View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 07:15 AM   #77
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default another hot water tank heat pump

AC_Hacker

So far so good. Yes the placard indicated a 5K Btu unit. I Don't remember the other data for wattage or other. Jeff5may is right 5Kbtu is about 500w after checking on-line so the BBQ gas refrigerant is a good gas for the application. The power reduction of 500watts to 350watts relates to a 30% increase in efficiency??

I had promised Gary Reysa upon finishing my Solar Hot Water space heating system that I would write up the information and get it over to him and Builditsolar but I've been dragging my feet.

The build of this HPWH was straight forward and anyone with a few hand tools could replicate it without too much difficulties.

The tank is a 40gal. and the temperature now is 45 Deg C at the top of the tank and 41 Deg C at the bottom. The condensing side is entering the tank at 55 Deg C. and out at 42 Deg. So that 22 ft. of 5/16 copper tube makes a nice immersion type heat exchanger. The evaporator shows to be quite effective as well being the original from the window shaker. Just need to be sure to have good air flow.

After a month of operation I'll post the data.

Randen

Last edited by randen; 02-11-14 at 07:21 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote