View Single Post
Old 02-10-14, 06:17 PM   #76
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
...So far the parents seem to be happy with the creation after a couple of showers have been made. They had mentioned they didn't add much cold to the mix for the shower water temp...
Pretty sanitary looking job.

I don't remember if you posted the capacity of the water heater tank? It would be useful to know.

So you're using a 5,000 BTU compressor, are you? That is just great, because that particular size is the most abundant on the used market, and therefore the cheapest. They are absolutely everywhere.

So if your project proves successful, it could well be the template for a tsunami of DIY heat pump water heaters just like yours.

My hunch is that a compressor of that size could have a slowish recovery... if it turns out to be the case, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad fit for your parents. In fact, if it is able to keep up with their normal use, it's probably going to prove more economical than a larger compressor.

And I really love the tank color, and know that it would be a crime to cover it up with insulation, but that would help your economy, also.

Good job!

And... if you were so inclined, your project could be easily turned into a nice PDF (like this one), and at that point, it could easily proliferate. If EcoRenovator doesn't have the storage capacity for such a PDF, I'm quite sure Build It Solar would have the capacity, and their traffic count is quite large, AND their stuff gets backed up on www.archive.org, so it would be eternal.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-10-14 at 07:22 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote