View Single Post
Old 11-17-09, 02:07 PM   #19
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

If someone wanted to make their own heat pump water heater out of a window a/c unit it seems like it could be done pretty easily if you use a unpressurized tank of water that has the heat pump in it and a heat exchanger that preheats the water going in to the tank as well as heating it as it is in the tank, even if it just preheated the water it seems like it would help alot with keeping the normal heating elements from kicking on.

My house is set up as a duplex with the water heater on the half that is not really lived in so 95% of the bill is the water heater and the basement dehumidifier for the past 14 months, in the past year of I've installed a timer on the water heater, dropping our water heating bill from $70 per month down to $30 per month (not including any of the meter reading fees) so it's a tough call as to if I should get a heat pump water heater any more at $360 per year cutting my bill in half would be $180 per year, or almost ten years to pay for the unit... of course if I have to get a new water heater any way (they only last so long) then it might be a 5-7 year pay back.
My other idea was to have the cooled air ducted in to the root cellar area, to keep that cool and dry.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote