View Single Post
Old 11-18-10, 08:00 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Insulating the water heater

So, a couple weeks ago I said I picked up a bunch of insulation stuff. I then insulated my hot water pipes. Its about time to get started on the next step. I bought a water heater blanket but I was not sure I am was going to use it since the heater is so old (12 years). So, I took a quick trip downstairs to evaluate the situation.

I've felt around my water heater many times. It never really felt 'warm' but I knew it had to be warmer than the air down there. So, this morning I went downstairs with my IR thermometer and shot the wall adjacent to the heater and the heater tank itself. The wall temp (this is an interior wall) was 58F (14C) and the side of the tank was 70F (21C). So, I think its pretty apparent that there is some fairly decent heat loss going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
strider3700 (11-19-10)