View Single Post
Old 12-22-15, 09:24 AM   #107
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post

On an unrelated note, I had my rotting back deck replaced just before the snow hit & did some more designing of what I want the basement plan to be like:
Depending on your ingenuity and scavenging abilities, you might be able to acquire a number of your basement materials for cheap or free. We have a place in my city called "The Restore". It is a charity where companies/individuals can donate their scrap building materials and the sale/use of those materials goes to building low income homes. If you have something like that, it would be a great place to acquire some of your materials. Also, I am a big proponent of dumpster diving, especially construction dumpsters (Here in the States, it is 100% legal to dig through trash as long as you are not trespassing on the land. I never ask or get permission and if someone asks me to leave I will do so immediately). You can get quite a bit of quality lumber from construction dumpsters, dramatically reducing the whole project cost.

EDIT: Don't forget Craig's List for building materials, like "pinballlooking" did.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote