View Single Post
Old 01-06-12, 01:21 AM   #15
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogart View Post
I'm wondering if I might get a few efficiency points by adding a combustion air supply pipe. The manual says that it can be done, but there is no cutout in cabinet for one. I'm thinking that I could cut a hole and run some PVC pipe straight in to the cabinet. Of course I would want to cover the existing vent slits in the cabinet and access panel so that it only draws fresh air from outside.
I can see two potential problems:
  • Your furnace may be tuned for a more or less constant intake air temperature (whatever your basement temp is), while feeding it fresh air from the great outdoors means that it will see a whole range of temps and humidities. If your manual says it can be done, then it should be OK.
  • Having fresh air come in through the wall means that that cold air will be sucked into the house. This can be solved by putting a damper on the intake, so that it automatically closes when the burner no longer needs air.
    S-F started a thread on this:
    How to provide fresh air to my boiler?

Of course, the good side of adding a fresh air intake duct is that your furnace won't be sucking air from the rest of the house, which must be made up for somehow.