View Single Post
Old 11-08-13, 09:43 AM   #4
BobD
Lurking Renovator

My attic has the normal vents in the eaves and at the roof peak, so when the whole house attic fan is running with windows or doors open, the air is drawn in the house and is pulled up thru the fan louvers to the fan and then up thru the attic where it is forced out thru the vents. This effectively removes the hot attic air and cools the attic and house. However, when the air conditioner is running and attic fan is not on, the heat in the attic migrates down thru the fan opening, much more so than thru the rest of the attic area which is well insulated to reduce this heat migration. My request was for ideas to provide some insulation to the fan opening that would still allow the fan to be turned without having to manually remove the insulation covering the opening. The attic fan opening has automatic-opening aluminum louvers on the ceiling side which prevents much of the heat from coming down from the attic into the living area, but I can still feel the large temperature difference below the opening. And conversely, during the winter, a huge heat loss from the interior of the house occurs up thru this area. Appreciate your comments.
BobD
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote