View Single Post
Old 04-25-14, 06:53 PM   #4
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That is true for some locations. All depends on soil type evaporation rate and other factors. With our soil it's reccomended to water more days a week for shorter cycles because of the sandy soil which is totally opposite of soil type that's typical in our area. Also the amount of water per week also varies greatly depending on soil type climate etc. Our soil it's nearly impossible to over water and in the summer it needs 2" a week but when the temps are 110* every day it ups to 2.5" per week.
That said that's the recommended to keep the lawn really nice. I wont' be doing that cause I can't pump enough water out of the well to do that. Just the back yard and not all of it would take the well pump running 25 hours just to get 1" of water. It's a jet pump.
We have been on twice a week outside watering since the beginning of last summer. Several citys are now making it permanant instead of going by lake levels. Luckily we have a well and the regs don't apply to us because no one can regulate use of your own water here. Was just reittirated in a recent court case in west TX.

I forgot to mention earlier there are some small rotors like the MP rotor rainbird has a version that's better IMO as well. It has a much lower precipitation rate so you have to run the zones much longer but the sprays are heavier streams that don't mist and evaporate near as much.
If doing a new system with them it also allows you to use less zones as well in most cases.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote