View Single Post
Old 10-05-08, 06:58 PM   #4
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

LEDs are very efficient, but they don't yet beat CFLs in terms of amount of light per watt.

Currently, I have two LED bulbs in my refridgerator. They work great. They are a little bluish, and not super-bright, but VERY energy efficient. The main reason I am using them there is that they create essentially no heat to warm the food I am using my energy to cool!

I also tried using CFLs in the fridge, and they will NOT perform well. CFLs do NOT like cold and damp!!!

I also have an LED spotlight above my kitchen sink. This is the one bulb in the whole house which is almost always on, so it's the one that makes the most sense to conserve on.

I originally had a C. Crane bulb in there.
( LED Light Bulbs )

Currently, I have a (made in China) LED spotlight I got at Wal-mart. It was $20 and suprisingly bright and a great color temperature as well.

Unfortunately, I am having some trouble with it. Right now, only HALF of the LEDs are actually lighting. It still puts out enough light to be useful. I don't know if I just got a really bad bulb, or if the quality control on this particular brand really is that bad.

The C.Crane bulb still works great. I put that one in the bathroom in a can fixture that originally had a heatlamp in it.

Most of the fixtures in my house are can lights built into the ceiling. LEDs are great for that application. CFLs work better for other styles of lights.

LEDs are also good for closer-up specialty applications, such as LED puck lights under a cabinet.

I plan on doing more work with LED lighting in the future. I will post more information here about it when I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote