View Single Post
Old 11-19-15, 11:07 AM   #2
TechShop
FNG

There is a less complicated approach. Why not duplicate the design conditions of the original copper condenser, thus eliminating the need to change the metering device.

First, measure as closely as you can the width of the condenser. Particularly, the length of each pass of copper tubing.

Next count up the number of cross-tubes in the condenser and note how they are organized. Often, there is a T or Y on the inlet and outlet; splitting the flow into 2 or 3 parallel circuits. (Probably two circuits on a little 5K).

You can multiply the length of the cross tubes by the number of tubes to determine the total length of copper necessary. Then cut that copper into equal length parallel circuits as required. You may even be able to salvage the T or Y fittings from the original condenser.

As for your last question about your 3rd option... I believe the reason you don't see small metering valves is that most manufacturers do not use them on small systems. I believe it is simply due to the extra complexity, and added cost of manufacturing. The reliability goes down and the cost goes up. I believe these little window units are mostly filling a price point and the cap tube is the inexpensive, reliable choice.
TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote