View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 09:53 AM   #22
jlaw
Learning to save

I am adding this just for more ideas if they fit your situation. I live in eastern NC and the temp rarely gets down to 20f at night and most days goes back to 40f or above. In order to fix, so to speak, my hot water issues I did several things that some thought was unconventional.
Originally when I bought the house the hot water tank was in the garage, 15' from the kitchen sink and 40' from the bathrooms. While remodeling Ibought the highest efficienct 40 gallon tank available and placed it in the attic driectly above the bathrooms. I did put a drip pan beneath drained to the exterior and also plumbed the relief into the drain line. I insulated all pipes in the unconditioned space. This serviced only the bathrooms. I then bought a 10 gallon water heater and placed that in the crawl space beneath the kitchen sink.
This made hot water almost instantly available in both location. Eliminated losses in long pipe runs. In the summer time I do get the benefit of some passive heat gain on the tank in the attic. Almost no water waste at the kitchen sink as well.
Works for me and seems to have been a good decision.
jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote