View Single Post
Old 01-07-13, 05:42 PM   #17
Snail
Lurking Renovator

Having now reread the post on insulation, I'm properly embarrassed. Of course you need to insulate pipes where they might freeze, hot or cold, plastic or copper. My excuse is I'm now in a climate where that isn't an issue, unless the pipes are completely exposed, hence I misread the earlier post. (Also I've just come back from field work in Indonesia to an exceptionally hot summer Christmas at home. Freezing was a distant memory to me!)

However, I'm curious now. I used to have a house where we did get freezing temperature, but usually only overnight and never for more than a day or so. What happens to those of you who live in climates where freezing temperatutes last for days, or even months? Surely, in that case, no practical amount of insulation will stop eventual freeze-up? If you are lucky enough to go for a winter holiday, what happens when the taps are not used for a significant period? Even pipes which are within the conditioned envelope must be at risk if the house is unheated. Ouch!
Snail is offline   Reply With Quote