View Single Post
Old 01-06-13, 10:32 PM   #1386
jlaw
Learning to save

Gentlemen:
I am new to this site and have been thinking on the idea of making my heat pump more efficient. I currently have a 4 year old heat pump that is rated at 15 seer. While I sit around in a semi state of boredom I am thinking about the sall stream running on the back edge of my yard, a meer 110 feet away.

My idea would be to purchase a water to refrigerant heat exchanger, bury a bunch of pex tubing in the stream bed and circulate some antifreeze through the pipe thusly increasing my heat pump efficiency. I would like to bury the pipe just below the stream bed surface. could i get enough temperature transfer to make this work? I want to mount the heat exchanger and pump beside the existing condenser outside. It is in full sun until12:00 midday then it is shaded. Would I need additional controls if this is feasible for low pressures, freezing etc?

Some information: I have a 3 ton unit, 1650 sq ft house. New 2 pane windows 12" insulation in attic, new insulated doors, most walls have been insulated to 3.5", brick exterior. The stream bed is mostly sand, my yard is mostly sand to a depth of 20 feet. I live in eastern NC. Since I have lived here the winter temp has never been below 20F. My standby heat rarely comes on. The stream flows continuously summer and winter.
jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote