View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 01:21 PM   #15
Daox
Administrator

My goal is to find a slightly faster computer that has drastically lower power consumption. Money input into this would ideally be minimal after selling the old equipment. Saving money in power usage really isn't a big deal. She doesn't use it a massive amount and she is good about turning it off. Another part is that it is a fun project for me because I like tinkering and finding out what else is out there. Before looking into this I didn't even know celerons were still a thing, and I didn't know about the micro / mini PCs. I'd love to try a Pi4, but I really don't think that would fit her well. But, it was great to find out that you can actually do it.

I did get a message from Redpoint on EcoModder. He is going to ship me his old i5-3570k setup. We'll see what I can do with it to get its idle power draw down. I think he said it idles around 35W. With a K series CPU I know you can overclock them, so perhaps I can undervolt this one? I'm not sure if its an OE brand or what. I suppose I could still use Intel XTU to tweak that though. So, once I get it I'll still do some tweaking to lower its power consumption a bit more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote