View Single Post
Old 05-11-16, 02:43 PM   #5
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Wow that's pretty cheap electricity but it's odd that the rate goes up as you use more. Most places it goes down as you use more. We can switch providers here but we don't use enough electricity to get the lower rates. Need to use 1k minimum and at 2k you get the much lower rate. .13 is average here. If we used over 2k that would go down to .06 per kwh.

Our gas is measured by mcf here for some reason so hard to compare without doing the math. And our water is cubic feet instead of per 1k gallons. The only standard measurement they use here is for electricity. Water also goes down as you use more.

Your plan to use the attic air is a good idea. Here when I was doing the ac duct work it was 85* and the attic temp was 106*. So lots of heat up there to use. Cooling the garage is a great idea. Garage ventilation is totally ignored in all construction including the energy efficient side. The garage will get hotter than outside and will hold that heat overnight as it has very few methods to loose that heat.

I don't like the idea of daisy chaining the two waterheaters together. Those tankless waterheaters don't save any energy. In fact in most cases they end up costing you more in gas and water because they provide endless hot water. Also the heat pump will work year round in most climates unless it's sitting on the back porch of a house in canada..

I don't like the idea of the Elec company there giving free fridges and washers away. Wreaks of robin hood. Take from one and give to another. Also a form of taxation without representation in a way. Bad idea really but good for the manufacturers. That said the cost to the Elec companies is a tiny bit of their profits and really shouldn't be passed on to the customer but we all know it is.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote