View Single Post
Old 11-16-11, 09:44 PM   #3
orange
frugal builder

We live in the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver so it's pretty moist and mild. Cold snaps are usually about -5C and maybe last a week. The rest of the time its around 5-10C and raining.

GDHE-50-NG - AO Smith GDHE-50-NG - 50 Gallon - 100,000 BTU Vertex 100 Power Direct Vent Residential Gas Water Heater (Nat Gas)

Have not done the BTU calculations yet but we are adding to this house. I think there are three units available up to 250,000 btu.(just checked and there only seems to be a 75000 and a 100000)

Total will be about 1700 square feet in 2.5 floors so its a nice small footprint. The first floor will be new construction so I may do something super high r-value there.

I'm in the process of insulating the existing floor right now. Will probably green-it foam the cathedral roof parts as they are only 2x4 construction. The rest will be batts or cellulose.

I wish we could find a dense pack capable machine here but most the contractors I have talked to don't even know what dense packing is. I like the fact that the dense pack acts as an air barrier because we don't want to gut the whole place to seal it tight. I'm leaning towards loose fill cellulose in the new 2x6 walls with resiliant clips as thermal break and sound control.

Last edited by orange; 11-16-11 at 09:47 PM..
orange is offline   Reply With Quote