View Single Post
Old 11-07-14, 10:37 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
The only radio I ever listen to is BBC Radio 4, via the internet on a PC.
It's my favorite, too.

And although it may not be of any interest to you, I have enjoyed Finnish nostalgia radio, too.

I also like Portuguese Fado music, and I have found a station that plays Fado 24/7.

Also there's a curious and little niche genre call 'bard music' that was pre-Glasnost, Russian underground music. It's now considered nostalgia, but it is an interesting music that served an interesting purpose.

But I think my number 2 favorite station is WRN (World Radio Network). My preference is for that service is the stream that is tailored for European listeners, because I already get all the USA point of view I need. They have a 60 minute segment from some country, and then, on the hour they will change to another country. I have learned some of the most unexpected things, listening to that station! Like how Obama went on a European trip (for pleasure??). What I found out from Polish radio was that he was actually acting as a salesman for "fracking' companies, so that European ground water could become as contaminated as in the USA.

I also found a very interesting music stream coming out of Paris that serves an expat Arabic audience that now live in France. It's Arabic music, to be sure, but it is tempered by a Western sensibility.

-AC