View Single Post
Old 04-16-14, 01:40 PM   #2
jeff88
Lots of questions

I get where you're going with this. I think you might be better off with replacing the windows with double or triple pane windows, but it sounds like a decent inexpensive alternative to other renovations. Just a couple of thoughts...

Never have a dark colored shade in the summer, the closer to white, the better. You want the energy from the light to reflect out and leave the house. Dark will absorb the heat, so during winter: OK, during summer: get ready to cook.

As far as the 3" on top and bottom it is a nice idea, I assume these would be for the floor to ceiling windows? Don't know if anybody has tried it before, but it would be worth a try to find out. Only thing I would say is that you will want somewhere for the hot air to go, so having some sort of fan or HVAC inlet up high would be good. Otherwise, the hot air will eventually heat the whole room and the 3" gaps would be useless.

I'm a little confused about what you mean with your second set of plans for changing winter to summer. Are those different windows?

For your other directions, I would say as big of windows you can get and as little coverings as possible on the north side. This will allow the most natural light into the house, with very little heat energy. The east side can probably just have regular shades, but I would say keep them closed at night during summer that way you don't heat up the house in the morning before you wake up. The west should have as few and as small of windows as possible (no windows would be best) and you should treat the west like you treat the south (as in don't let heat in as much as you possibly can).
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote