View Single Post
Old 01-17-13, 01:57 AM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Great news that it works! Some questions. When the electronic controller (audrino) senses its too cold out for the ashp to operate efficiently, the gshp valve turns on?
That's the idea at this point. I'm sure that there will be some data logging and tweaking to find the best cross-over point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Is the unit for heating and cooling? Since you were just intending on using it for the hydronic floor heating, could you then switch in the summer to cool the house with another valve and run line inside for cooling?
Well, you've seen my house and it's pretty small, and doesn't take much to cool it (or heat it). I usually need A/C about 7 days a year. My little factory-made 3/4 Ton AC/heat pump puts out more than enough cool air to do the job.

But regarding summer cooling, using the little GSHP would be the better way to go. Because when the temperature starts heading into the high 80's the loop field is maybe 57 F or 58 F, and has a very large capacity to absorb heat. That's a much more efficient heat dump than 85 to 100 degree air.

I tell you Geo, I'm really looking forward to getting some radiant floor action going on here in my house. My living room isn't critically tight, but it's pretty tight, and this evening, even though I've had the temperature set at about 70, when I'm sitting in a chair or lounging about on the couch, I am not comfortably warm.

Right now, the heat pump has been off for about 15 minutes, as it heads into night mode, and the temperature at floor level is 55 F, but the temp at ceiling level is 65 F, and my feet are cold.

I get grumpy when my feet are cold.

Hope all is well with you & yours...

Best,

-AC