View Single Post
Old 11-28-12, 10:21 AM   #40
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
My fridgie friends from the UK all seem to be concerned about sulfur content in BBQ LPG. They seem to think it will harm the copper components long term. I've no idea but has anyone looked into it?
Yeah, this can shorten the life of a system in general, the compressor in particular. I don't have any data as to how much. A properly set-up heat pump that is installed out of the weather can last decades. To get this kind of life, you'd want to go the distance with the best refrigerant you can obtain or upgrade, and scrupulous attention to water removal, etc.

But for hacking and learning, BBQ-gas works. But for your Opus, you'll want to use best practice.

The problem is sulfur + water which can make sulfuric acid, which is the real problem.

A good vacuum pump is used to create a vacuum deep enough that water will boil off, and hold the system vacuum long enough so that the water can be removed. This means a vacuum in the sub 200 micron (or equivalent) range. Good equipment can do this. A micron gauge will tell you if your equipment is good. I thought my equipment was good until I got a micron gauge, then I found out that my vacuum pump was not creating a sufficiently low vacuum. I now have an inexpensive, but new vacuum pump that does the job.

Also, some of our most industrious fiends have used HVAC filter/dryers to remove sulfur content. The noxious rotten egg smell (Hydrogen Sulfide) that is present in BBQ-gas is an add-in (Capton) for safety, because propane is odorless. So filtered BBQ-gas will be nearly odorless.

You should be able to locate 'refrigerant grade' R-290 that is properly dry and sulfur-free, but it's not cheap.

If you search the forum, you should be able to find postings of how others have done it.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 11-28-12 at 10:30 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote