View Single Post
Old 10-26-12, 01:03 PM   #34
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Its pretty warm in here, its 19.5 c constant night and day during tests.
My fridge is a Kenmore not a GE like i thought, although they may be all the same, probably Kenmore is just a higher quality model of the GE line.. glass shelves and the better adaptable defrost timer.

The improved efficiency i measured using the clock for the fridge was about 50% , the kill-a-watt numbers suggest a 33% savings over a new energy star fridge.
Sears energy guide kwh usage for a 2012 model, the same size, features and brand of fridge is $41 or 383 kwh a year, comparable to other $42 and $52 per year fridges, my fridge is a 2007 model.

Looks like my $50 insulating investment will take 2 years to pay back.
More importantly i have started my electrical consumption reduction and just realized my first 50% reduction improvement

I put the watt meter back on the fridge at 10 pm today, tomorrow at 10 pm i will check it again and post results.
I wanted to check other items with it so it was hard to just leave it on the fridge.
added:
As compared to the yearly 383 kWh from the 2012 energy guide my fridge with heavy use is using 255.5 annual kWh, 33% less energy

I completed the 2nd 24hr cycle, this time I used the fridge less including no beers,it made a difference in the long run 208 KWh year, 0.57 kWh consumed, annual cost: $20.55 temp. 19.5c

I am going to do one more test with no door openings what so ever, same as my clock timing tests were conducted, its a more precise way to measure the gains or losses as there is no corruption in the data by the usage differences.

Non-use 24hr numbers are in
.56 kWh
204 kWh year
5 cents day
$19.65 year

Hardly a change from the lighter use numbers, just a 0.01 daily KWh increase, with a 20% lower consumption over the heavier use test.
46.5% lower then the 2012 energy star fridge

(unsure of refrigerator EnergyStar KWh rating criteria)

temp: 19.5 -20 c
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fridge energy rating.pdf (32.7 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by ecomodded; 11-06-12 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: add add add then added once more
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote