View Single Post
Old 12-08-10, 08:21 PM   #9
toolingjim
Believer in Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
This is the intro section.. Where we learn about the skills of others.

And, one never knows when he might need the metal working knowledge to install
a Picatinny Rail on a 10/22, when the existing tapped receiver holes are stripped.?.

Anyways, my next mill-drill job might be making some aluminum
terminal (like the ground strip in your breaker box) blocks that
will clamp onto LA battery terminals. (Are the 1/2" and tapered?)
I was thinking of some 1/4-20 holes for the fat wires and a couple of 10-32s
for the skinny wires.. I have a whole box of 10-32 set screws that might work..

Here's my drill-mill.. The stinkin Chinese vise is too small for woodworking!

Holding work like that is definitely a two pipe problem, Watson. The vise might be adequate with a bit of help. You might stabilize the stock by making a weldment or boltup that can clamp to the top front end of the stock, that drops down to the table top and bolts to the table, kind of a Z plate with right angles.
I don't recognize LA battery terminals. Is that the standard tapered automotive battery terminal? In the absence of the proper reamer, I usually do tapered holes on the lathe. It's easy to set the proper angle by slewing the compound around. Mount the part on the faceplate or in the four jaw chuck, drill, and have at it with a boring bar.
If you are talking about clamping similar to a regular terminal strip, I only have two suggestions. First, the screw threads are usually fine thread, as they are less prone to loosening. The 10-32 is fine but 1/4-28 is better in the large size. Second, the screw tips should be reduced in diameter so the end doesn't mushroom and lock into the block. That's about all I know about terminal blocks.
The picatinny rail has always interested me, but I don't have anything to put it on currently. You've got to admit that it would be a bit strange looking on a classic 1910 Oberndorf Mauser sporter. If I ever build a modern rifle (M4, HK91, FNFAL) maybe I'll do one.
Maybe you're right about daox needing my help sometime, but he looks to be pretty capable. IIRC, he builds conveyor systems to support his renovating habit. I'd be happy to help him if I could be of any use, especially as he is about 20 minutes up the road from me.
Got to get some sleep now, or I'm liable to machine something off besides metal tomorrow. These 50 hour workweeks are getting old.