View Single Post
Old 01-14-09, 01:09 AM   #3
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Under Linux I can lower the total number of interruption at such a level the CPU stays in C3 95% of time, but this need the deactivation of some peripherals or functions such as wireless and 3D on some video cards. I also avoid some programs such as firefox with lots of tabs or acrobat reader.
Here is my full firefox optimization :
  • noscript plugin : do not launch active content (javascript, flash...) by default. You will need to whitelist a lot of sites and domains, but this will permit you to declare domains with bad written active content that eat your CPU or crash your navigator. I'm actively using the status bar icon to set the permissions, first a temporary one (deleted when the navigator is stopped) then permanent if I come back often on the site.
  • flashblock plugin : do not launch flash by default. This is the first plugin that I used and permitted me to keep a tab with weather forecast without having a hot CPU (because of a flash showing snow falling ). I keep it as I often want javascript and not flash on a site.
  • set image.animation_mode to once (enter about:config as URL). Permit to lower the impact of pages with tens of animated gif. Caution, you may break your navigator if you change something else.

Even if it takes me a little bit more time to visit some sites, I know my navigator is now more responsive and eats less CPU (<10%), permitting the CPU to stay longer in deeper sleep mode (>80% in C2 - on my notebook any USB device prevents the CPU to go into C3) and in low frequency (>98% at 1Ghz instead of 1.8Ghz).

For my own comfort I'm also using the AdBlockPlus plugin, but this is for another reason, the same why I put a "no ad" on my letter box

Denis.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to groar For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (10-19-11)