View Single Post
Old 12-20-16, 12:37 PM   #572
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The end of the solar day on 12/16/16 made exactly four years of being part of the TVA Generations Partners program. I keep pretty good records and maintain a spreadsheet to tell me how I'm doing for those times when someone asks me about its payback.

The system we have is actually two solar arrays. One, a 1050w rated array made up of 6 Sharp 175w panels running through Enphase inverters and the second is a 5760w rated array made up of 24 Sharp 240w panels running through an SMA Sunny Boy 5000 inverter. Both arrays are on adjustable tilt ground mounts. I reset their tilt angles on the Spring & Fall Equinoxes, so twice a year nearest the exact date of the time change, depending on rain.

All that said so you'd know what was making this power. At sundown ending my fourth year, we had generated exactly 39,380 kWh of renewable energy. For the year, 12/17/15 - 12/16/16 we made 10,292 kWh. This was a close second best year. Our best was 2014 @ 10,441 kWh. 2013: 9,176 and 2015: 9,471.

The payback ending year 4 was at 58.172% of my total investment. Don't forget, 30% is the Federal tax credit that comes quickly. The remaining 28.172% took 4 years. For my future guesstimate, based on past performance estimates, I will be financially paid back in just under 10 years. I typically just say 10.5 years is what I expect and hope for. After all, God controls the sunshine, not I.

The real way I feel is that my investment was satisfied the first time I saw my utility meter run backwards. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing quite like generating your own electricity. We are not total electric, we use natural gas for hot water and emergency backup heat. Future plans call for an electric car, and I have high hopes for my reservation to pan out. I am also hoping that a Powerwall or two will be part of that future as well.

So, here's wishing all of you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (12-21-16), Roostre (12-20-16)