Thread: Ben's Garage
View Single Post
Old 01-30-17, 10:10 AM   #86
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Just got the final bill from the roofer. Total cost came to $5,400 for materials and installation. It also covered all trim, roof vent and cap, etc. This was within the range originally budgeted for the project. It also included a cost for flashing the two skylights, which was essentially negated by a credit for us doing the roofing felt. (Also the roofer make skylight flashings from scratch for HALF what the flashings cost to buy! - $300 each!)
There was also no separate charge for the man boom that was used. Had I did this myself, I likely would have needed to rent something similar for a few days.

Roof size is 27 feet wide by 18 feet to peak by 2 sides = 972 square feet.

$5,400 /972 is $5.56 per square foot. This is inline with national average costs, although on the higher side based on square footage vs a full size house.

Iv'e also seen estimates for standing seam metal roofing run $7-$13 per installed square foot. And my costs came in BELOW that.
(For an interesting comparison, $5.50 is about the cost of materials for nice pre-finished hardwood flooring at the local home improvement store.) 2017 Metal Roofing Cost Calculator - Install Cost, Metal vs Shingles

That said, the roofers did a good job. It looks nice, and it's well done. It will well outlive any asphalt roofing and NOT need all the solar pulled off to replace shingles!

I also really like that there will be ZERO penetrations in the roof due to solar.

I asked the roofer to cut a couple extra pieces of the metal roofing for me to have as samples, and I ordered a pair of the S-5! metal roofing clamps to test out. That way, I can try them AND have sort of a sample display of how my roof works for teaching events.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bennelson; 01-30-17 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: mostly typos
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-30-17), Xringer (01-30-17)